Thursday, June 16, 2011





With the advent (and growing popularity) of eBooks, I’m seeing more and more articles about how much “better” they can be, because they have the option to be interactive … videos, music, glossaries … all sorts of little extra goodies to help “enhance” your reading experience, rather like listening to the Director’s commentary on a DVD of your favorite movie.
How do you feel about that possibility? Does it excite you in a cutting-edge kind of way? Or does it chill you to the bone because that’s not what reading is ABOUT?

My answer...

Wow, this is a very relevant question to what has been going on in the world of books/reading! Thanks for the question :). Well, I do have a Nook Color that my husband sweetly bought me as a Christmas present and I can't lie, it IS great! I've read a few books on there, but lately, it seems like I've been on a spending spree with paper books at the bookstore :). While my Nook is very trendy and convenient, I still like paper books better overall. There's just something about holding a book in your hands, smelling the musky scent of the pages etc...I will probably always prefer "book" books!

I have heard lots of people say that soon, libraries and bookstores will disappear and everything will be online and electronic. While this may eventually happen and while I admit some new technology is cool and even amazing, I will definitely be one of those people who will be loyal to the old-fashioned way!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting question! I have been thinking about this a lot in the last few months, as I’m sure many have been also. I absolutely love my ereader and at this point in my life (having 2 very small children) it does make reading easier and more convenient for me. I still spend a hefty amount of time in my local library and bookstores and I really don't see the ereader as causing the demise of the paper book. There will always be people who prefer paper books and there will always be people who cannot afford to/will not spend the money on a ereader. And until there is a decent way to share ebooks I certainly don't see them wiping out the paper book. I would be very sad if I saw libraries closing in my community!

    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Rebecca. I do not own a reader (yet) and although I am beginning to think it is inevitable, I am still holding out.

    I absoultely enjoy the tangible qualities of regular books (smell, feel, look). I have read several ebooks (on my laptop) and it doesn't take away from the content of course, but it just isn't the same...it's just not 3D, you know?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my paper books. I have a Kindle, I think it's perfect for traveling. Just one item to take, don't have to worry about finishing a book and having to go out a buy another. I loaned my Kindle to a friend last week for her to take on vacation. I had to explain how to use it. I have NEVER had to explain how to operate a paperback. I have also never had to worry about the battery shutting down my paperback either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to ignore the "extra goodies" in e-books. Just give me the meat of the story; if I want more, I will go find your website.

    Switching back and forth between paper books and e-books on my laptop confuses me a bit. I sometimes try to stick a paper bookmark into my computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the feeling of my books actually in my hand. I like my Kindle but it's not the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I love my laptop, I simply have no desire to read books electronically. I love the physical book too much -- turning the pages, holding it, and taking in the cover. I could still spend hours in a bookstore -- hopefully they won't become obsolete!

    ReplyDelete