Thursday, June 23, 2011

Literary Blog Hop
I'm new to the Literary Blog Hop! It's hosted by The Blue Bookcase...click on the pic above for more info and to join in :).

Should literature have a social, political, or any other type of agenda? Does having a clear agenda enhance or detract from its literary value?

My answer:
I think sometimes having an agenda can detract from my enjoyment of a book, but not always. Sometimes an author's agenda is simply for the reader to have fun and to enjoy themselves and I don't mind that type of agenda at all :). I really love it when books have deeper meanings and clear themes...such as The Lord of the Rings being about good vs. evil and fighting for a higher purpose. Sometimes authors write books in order to bring attention to their plight or to the plight of others and this is very noble...such as Elie Wiesel and his book, Night. He wants to encourage us to never forget what happened during the Holocaust and to make sure it never happens again.

I don't know if I'm really enjoying the influx of books lately written by celebrities...it seems like they talk enough in their movies and in public...not sure why they need to write about their observations and lives as well haha! However, I do like a few of them...Tina Fey for instance...her book might be cute to read.

Overall, I enjoy books with messages to convey, as long as those messages aren't stupid, self-serving or vindictive. Books should help us to reach and become the best people we can be.


4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Literary Blog Hop! I hope you will come back again.

    I, too, have mixed feelings. My favorite books are that great mix of story and meaning. Without being in my face....

    Here's my post: "All a Poet Can Do is Warn."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points and welcome to the hop. This is my first visit to your blog.

    Here is my post (and a literary giveaway!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. So you believe that literature has a moral and/or social obligation?

    Thanks for joining in the hop!

    ReplyDelete