Monday, April 11, 2011


This week's Musing (hosted by MizB of Should be Reading) asks us: If you're a mood reader, what (genre) do your moods usually call you to read?


My answer: First of all, I wanted to say sorry that I haven't posted on here in a week, I had the flu :(! I think that I am a mood reader. When I was a teenager going through the whole teenage angst thing, I read books like Jane Eyre and Agatha Christie mysteries...books that were a little bit darker to match my turbulent emotions! When I was dating my now husband, I began reading a lot of non-fiction books because my husband is wicked smart (being a doctor and all) and he always knows a little bit about everything. He inspired me to gain a greater thirst for knowledge and I reread The Diary of Anne Frank and Eleanor Roosevelt's autobiography, among others. Back in my pre-teen years when my mom was struggling with breast cancer, I read a lot of fantasy books such as The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia because I wanted to escape the pain and fear I felt and go into another world for awhile. Now, I'm mostly back to reading my true love, which is general fiction books. There is so much variety and depth in this genre that these books can play on many emotions at once.


I'd love to have links to all of your Musing Monday posts! :)



3 comments:

  1. Well thought out answer. I can actually understand why you read what you did during those phases in your life. I read Anne Frank's Diary in Elementary School (many, many years ago) and to this day, I can still remember the visualizations I created in my mind. Very well written response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Yes, looking back on my life, I see for me to escape when I was a teenager meant historical fiction: Dumas, John Jakes, Taylor Caldwell, Mary Stewart. Grand and epic that took me to a different time and place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chick lit in the summer or when I am heavy studying in school. When I am not studying heavy lit.

    ReplyDelete