Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review of Life of Pi by Yann Martel



Synopsis in a Sentence: A boy (Pi) finds himself stranded in a lifeboat with a tiger after the ship that was carrying him and his family to Canada sinks.


My Thoughts: I remember my sister reading this book years ago, but for some reason, never asked to borrow it! I always kept it in the back of my mind though, as a book which I should return to and read. I finally did! I must say that Yann Martel's writing style is pretty impressive. I was very engrossed when I first began reading this book as the author details the main character growing up at his family owned zoo in India. Pi (Piscine Molitor Patel) is a very thoughtful and unique boy who is trying to find himself and his place in the world through exploring all of the world religions. I found it interesting that he doesn't choose just one faith to explore, but manages to find beauty and truth in Christianity, Islam and Hinduism.


Pi's family emigrate to Canada, but their ship ends up sinking and Pi finds himself alone with a huge, menacing Bengal tiger! The author expertly conveys Pi's dismay and fear at finding himself in this situation, and you find yourself wondering what you would do in a similar situation. It is amazing how Pi manages to survive this ordeal and eventually be rescued, although I found myself getting a little bored as chapter after chapter describes his trials on a lifeboat. Some of these chapters got pretty repetitive after awhile!


What I liked best: How Pi uses his courage, imagination and belief in God and himself to survive being stranded with a tiger.


What I liked least: As I mentioned above, some of the chapters get repetitive and you find yourself anxiously awaiting the conclusion of the story and Pi's reflections on his journey.



2 comments:

  1. Life of Pi remains on my must read list. I too am one who has passed it by over the years. Like you, I think it is time to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. For someone reason, every time I saw this book/cover, I assumed the book was about math or something related to math. Funny huh?

    ReplyDelete