Saturday, March 26, 2011

Nordie's at Noon by Various

Synopsis in a Sentence: This memoir gives us a peek into the lives of four women who fought a courageous battle against breast cancer at young ages.

My Thoughts: The stories of Patti, Kim, Jennifer and Jana really hit home for me as my own mother fought (and won) her own battle with breast cancer at only 40 years of age. This book was recommended on a list that I found at my local library about books which every woman should read. Nordie's is unique from other books on cancer in that it actually kind of reads like chick lit! The women do describe the treatments and procedures that they go through, but they also write about their love lives, day to day victories, defeats and friendships. It's definitely not a dry, scientific view of cancer, but one that shows how deeply cancer can touch and affect every aspect of our lives.

The four women are diagnosed with breast cancer all at age 30 or under. Patti is incredibly, only 26 years old when she is diagnosed! Being 27 years old myself, my heart pretty much broke when I read that. I tried to picture myself in her situation, and try as I might, I couldn't imagine enduring what she went through. She was so courageous and graceful in her battle, and was perhaps my favorite story in this book. Jennifer's story also amazed and inspired me deeply as well. She was 27 years old when she was diagnosed and was pregnant while she went through chemotherapy! My sister just gave birth to her first child, and the thought of her having to endure painful procedures and take powerful medicine during such an already emotional time, kind of makes me shake my head in wonder at the trials women go through. I would definitely recommend this book to you, dear followers, and would encourage you to stay up to date on your mammograms and current on breast health topics. My husband is a doctor and tells me that this is a disease which can be survived with early detection! Enjoy and be inspired by this book of women who fought their battles with humor, grace and bravery. Yay, sisterhood! :)

What I liked least: When the stories ended, I wanted to know more about the women and how they are doing today!

What I liked most: This is not a book written about these women...Patti, Jennifer, Jana and Kim wrote these stories themselves, which makes your reading experience more powerful. At the end of the book, you feel like you've made four new best friends!

Dear Readers: have you or anyone else you know been affected by breast cancer?











3 comments:

  1. Nice review, Rebecca. A good friend of mine passed away from breast cancer at the age of 35 and my ex-husband's sister passed away from the disease at the age of 36. Seems to be affecting more and more women at an early age.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really interesting-- I'll have to look up more about it.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a powerful and moving book. Adding to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete