Sunday, August 28, 2011

Review of Imperfect Birds


Synopsis in a Sentence: A teenage girl, Rosie, spends the summer rebelling and exhibiting teenage angst against her mother, Elizabeth.

My Thoughts:
Wow, can I just say how much I completely hated this novel? Haha! Harsh, yes, but I have to be honest! This was truly one of the worst books that I have EVER read. Where do I begin in order to explain just how horrible it was?

Well, first of all, it had absolutely no plot. The entire book takes place during the summer before Rosie's senior year of high school and it's basically about her being a parent's worst nightmare. I suppose I might recommend this to the parent of a teenager in order for them to feel glad about what THEIR teenager is like, but that's about it.

Probably the worst part of this book, though, is that there's no redeeming quality or theme to it. Rosie's behavior finally deteriorates to the point where Elizabeth needs to send her to a youth wilderness camp for out of control kids. While there, Rosie seemingly learns nothing about how to improve herself and doesn't even come to an awareness of what got her sent there.

I kept waiting for something exciting, or even just interesting to happen, but it never does. There's nothing here to be shared or learned except that this book made me dread my future children becoming teenagers one day haha!

This book had promise...it has a beautiful cover, an intriguing title and was seemingly about the complexities of a mother/daughter relationship. However, in reality, it ends up only being a boring portrait of an incredibly spoiled and smug teenager.

Having said all this, though, I have read that author, Anne Lamott, has written such wonderful and witty memoirs, such as Traveling Mercies. I'm willing to read one of these and give her another chance, but I'll never read another one of her novels.



0 comments:

Post a Comment